Sunday, November 7, 2010

In response

I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to everyone who commented on my "Labour of Love" post. Everyone was really supportive, and it was fun to see how different everyone sees and experiences their labour.

It seems that it is crucial to have a great nurse with you. And I agree. I wish I would have had that the first time around, I think it would have been a completely different experience for me. Hopefully my midwife can be that for me this time.

I also found it fascinating that some of you guys just know that you want pain medication right away, while others just took natural birth by the horns, while others were like me, and just couldn't make it to the end even though we were so close!

I am looking forward to a natural birth because last time the only "recovery" I felt I had was from the epidural. There was no pain except for in my back. And I had a huge bruise the size of a soft ball, and for months I was so sore I couldn't sit back or lay down. (Probably due to the fact they gave me an epidural while Lyla was crowning!!! How did they miss that? Oh, not checking me, yep, that will do it!) Needless to say, if that is avoidable, why not avoid, right?


I am excited about my classes starting though. The first one is next Sunday. And I will probably post about the labour, and let you know if the hypnobirthing worked well for me. I know it won't be "painfree" like they say it can be, but I definately am hoping for a great experience.

And I am grateful for the lovely ladies who suggested getting a blessing first. I got a blessing right before the epidural last time because I was contracting one right on top of the other without breaks in between, and so I was scared I couldn't sit still and I would be paralyzed forever! But after a blessing from Jesse, my contractions stopped completely for a full 10 minutes! But I think that is a great idea to have one at the begining of labour! The priesthood is so amazing, and I know it will help tremendously.

I am also grateful for those mom's who reminded me how beautiful it is after the labour, to feel that rush of love for your baby, and that rush of God's love for you! It really is more important to prepare for raising that baby than it is for preparing for labour.

I remember how alert and calm Lyla was right after birth. Because I didn't have drugs very long before Lyla was actually birthed, she wasn't "drugged", and she was so responsive to me. They say newborns, after they are born are in a hightened state of alertness for 1 to 2 hours after birth that happens at no other time, and fades quickly, and doesn't return for a few months. We locked eyes, and she would wimper if I looked away for spoke to anyone in the room but her. She found my breast all by herself and latched on, she would even mimick my facial expressions. The experience was just incredible!

I think if I keep the end in mind, labour will seem like a way to achieve my goal and my baby. Perhaps it won't seem like an agonizing ordeal to get through, but to embrace, as every contraction brings me closer to my sweet baby boy!

2 comments:

Eevi said...

You know that I am pretty much as obsessed as you are about my next birth. You are just one step ahead of me and actually preparing yourself for it, while I haven't "officially" started to do anything. I'm so excited to see how everything goes for you and hope that your experience will be amazing so it will empower me and inspire me.

p.s let's try to get together next week--miss you!

Eevi said...

also i can't believe you are so close...61 days...and most likely even less than that!!