So yesterday I was feeling all sorry for myself... with that large barren backyard, calling for me to come do something to it. And I being green with envy at me sisters ability to grow things, thought I might give it a whirl. So with gusto, I found a tutorial online about how to make a raised garden bed.
Directions say easy, 1 hour project.
Oh, did I mention that I have clay for a backyard, not dirt? Oh, and did I mention that is why I decided to make a raised garden, and the clay is the bane of my existence, and also the reason the backyard is barren?
1 hour project has now turned into a forever project, because said dirt will not allow me to stake the garden bed into the ground as tutorial requires.
So $60 spent = no garden bed today, and probably not tomorrow either.
So I tried soaking the ground with water. But guess what, my nice backyard is waterproof. Yeppers, water just sat on top of that dandy clay.
Any suggestions anyone? What have you done to overcome your backyard woes? How can I garden in this blasted desert?
6 comments:
Have you tried rotertilling it? I don't know I'll have to ask Trey he is the farmer/tractor driver in our family. I know he has dealt with different types of ground.
Trey said it's hard to say because he can't physically see your background to see how deep the clay is...but, he said maybe look into your local hardware store for a form powder lime and maybe top soil after breaking/rotertilling the ground up. The lime and top soil mixed together will help to keep the ground loose...they use it for tough ground down here. But, you need to rotertill/break the ground before using the lime and soil and mix it with the clay/hard groudn and then rotill again and you'll be good to pull beds or do it how you want too. We pull beds for our garden.
oh i forgot if you have questions you can call me.
Thanks Meghan! Where can I get a rotertiller?
ummm trey owns his own but, I believe you can rent one from a hardware store like imperial hardware. If you can't find one you can do it by shovel but that will be a pain in the butt. They also have this thing called a claw that i use for our flowerbed and it just has four sharp blades at the bottom and you just turn the soil with that.
I LOVE your family picture!! We miss you guys! We will call sometime soon so we can hang out before our little man gets here. I want to meet Spencer!!
Post a Comment